In this world of turmoil we live in, there is hope.
Earlier Years, Fat Pants
I’ve been thinking about the years when my children were younger. There is a bit of longing for those little bitty ones that made me laugh and cry! Baby Luke was really quiet for one of his naps. When I opened up the door, he had stuffed all of his pants with clothes and called them fat pants. He brought them into the living room and lined them up. I have no idea where he came up with that…ha! It’s interesting how we tend to long for what has passed or what is yet to come. Somewhere along the way we need to convince ourselves that now is pretty great too.
Try these great kid friendly websites to help beat the summer time boredom that seems to find its way into our homes as the heat zaps our kids which ends up zapping us! Whew! That was a mouthful.
Websites for kids
The Internet Schoolhouse
Windows to the Universe
The Puzzle Depot
Mind, Body, and Spirit
When considering well-being, think of your physical, emotional, and spiritual self as a 3 legged stool. When one of those aspects of your life is off-balance you are going to fall. You can be in top physical shape but if you are an emotional wreck, you fall. You’re spirituality will suffer if you are not taking care of yourself physically etc.
We know that stress causes emotional, physical, and spiritual troubles.
A few of the causes of stress:
- Family issues
- Work issues
- Money issues
- Driving while talking on the phone
- Gruesome, scary movies
- Arguing with people
There are ways to attack stress:
- Serve others
- Spending quiet time with those you love
A few of the benefits of exercise
- Improves health
- Releases tension
- Gives you a healthy perspective on life
- Improves self-esteem and confidence
- Strengths muscles
- You have a more restful sleep
- Gives you time to meditate and ponder
- Is a diversion from your worries
- Counters fatigue
- Better blood circulation
“Physical well-being is not only a priceless asset to one’s self—it is also a heritage to be passed on. With good health all the activities of life are greatly enhanced. A clean mind in a healthy body enables one to render far more effective service to others. It helps one provide more vigorous leadership. It gives our every experience in life more zest and more meaning. Robust health is a noble and worthwhile attainment.” 4
Ezra Taft Benson, talk given at President Dwight D. Eisenhower’s second annual Council on Physical Fitness, Cascade, Maryland, September 8, 1958.
Molasses Oat Bread — Delicious
I love this recipe! I can toss the ingredients into the breadmaker and a few hours later slice it up for dinner.
Put ingredients into the breadmaker in the order listed.
1 1/3 C boiling water
2/3 C rolled oats
1/3 C molasses
1 TB oil
2 TB honey
1 C spelt flour (or wheat, or white)
2 ¼ C wheat flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp yeast
Set your breadmaker on the wheat setting.
Honey by Hillary Stein
The other day I was reading about natural honey (since I love sweets!) and came across some really cool facts I thought I would share. Natural honey is wonderful as a food and also as a medicine. There are many different grades of honey, depending on factors such as where it is sourced and what containers it was stored in.
- While honey is sweet like white sugar, it is unique in that it also has small amounts of nutrients our bodies need for healthy living including: calcium, potassium, magnesium, and folic acid.
- Honey is a source of antioxidants which aids in protecting against some diseases. The quality of the antioxidants depends partially on the floral source of the honey. The darker honeys are known to have a higher antioxidant content.
- Honey is a great sports activity enhancer because of its high energy boosting ability. Plus, it is a lot cheaper than commercially sold sports bars and drinks. Because honey is in a pre-digested form it is directly absorbed into the body unlike refined sugar which needs to go through normal digestion.
- A recent study showed there is an antibacterial property to honey which makes it a better choice than refined sugar when it comes to tooth decay. Fruit juice starts to erode the tooth enamel ten minutes after consumption. Honey showed a delayed reaction on the teeth of 30 minutes, and the prominence of the erosion was less.
These facts make it highly worth substituting honey in some foods for other sweeteners. So for that next peanut butter sandwich opt out of jam and bring on the honey!
Because of the possible presence of botulinum , infants under 1 year old should not be feed honey.