Functional Family Elements
At one point in my life I had the following 12 ideas taped to the wall in my bedroom. I had each one printed on a tacky colored paper. It was definitely an eyesore…but I read them frequently. There is so much value in each thought below.
1. There is an inviting, comfortable, loving atmosphere in the home and in the company of the family. HAVE A HOME THAT FEELS GOOD. You know those homes the kids friends want to be in.
2. Parents offer their children all of their love and support without worrying about the outcomes of their parenting.
3.Parents in a functional family, parent consciously and intentionally.
4.Parents are very aware of the impact they have on their children.
5. Parents understand that the family is the best place to address basic human needs.
6. In functional families, relationships are of supreme importance.
7. In functional families parents are teachers.
8. Functional parents have clearly defines rules and responsibilities that they mutually agree upon.
9. Functional parents exhibit strong and confident leadership and are passionate about their responsibilities as parents.
10. Functional families realize that they do not need to be perfect.
11. Functional families like to play and have fun together.
12. Functional families make their home a gospel school.
(The ideas listed above came from a family life course I took from BYU.)